Zobrazit kategorie

Bělá pod Bezdězem

Masarykovo náměstí 90
Bělá pod Bezdězem, 294 21

Phone:+420 326 700 911
+420 326 700 914
Fax:+420 326 701 334
QR kód kontaktů pro Váš mobilní telefon
Bělá pod Bezdězem — originally a Royal town with massive walls. It is located in the picturesque countryside west of Mnichovo Hradiště and north-east of Mladá Boleslav.

The former Royal town was founded in 1304 in the valley of the Bělá stream. It was founded after the plans of establishing the town at the foot of the Bezděz Hill directly below the Castle appeared to be unrealistic due to the lack of water. King Wenceslas II gave his permission for the town establishment in 1304. When the town was built up and fortified in 1337, the municipal lien rights were confirmed by Hynek Berka of Dubá and Lipá, owner of the Bezděz estates. He confirmed them by a document that is still preserved today. The original name was Nový Bezděz. However, the name after the original settlement and Bělá stream was eventually used. The former large marketplace, the present day square, testifies to the fact that the town was intended to become an important economic centre of the region.

Bělá, surrounded by massive walls, was a Royal town until 1398. Then King Wenceslas IV transferred the town to mortgage ​​status. Bělá passed into the hands of the Lords of Michalovice. The promising development with flourishing trade and commerce ended at that time. During the Hussite Wars, Bělá was violently conquered in two subsequent battles. It alternately belonged to supporters of King Sigismund and Praguers (Orphans).

In 1468, the town passed into the hands of the Lords of Tovačov from Cimburk and then to the Lords of Janovice. Later it was primarily held by the family of Berkas from Dubá. After the Battle of White Mountain, the confiscated estates were bought in 1622 by Albrecht von Wallenstein, who imposed high taxes on the town. After his violent death, Bělá went into the hands of the Italian Margrave, Caretto-Millesimo. In 1678, it was bought by Count Arnost of Wallenstein and remained in the possession of the Wallensteins until 1848.

Currently, Bělá pod Bezdězem is a protected zone in which parts of the town fortifications and also many other historical buildings have been preserved. On the Bělá pod Bezdězem square, there is a Baroque column with life-size statue of the Virgin Mary. According to the inscription on the pedestal, the column was constructed in 1681 by Count Arnost of Wallenstein to commemorate the town being saved from the Plague. A number of historical monuments and natural attractions are to be found in  close vicinity of Bělá pod Bezdězem. The massive Bezděz Castle is located nearby. And a short distance away, the surroundings of Lake Mácha (Máchovo jezero)  attract tourists and cyclists. 

Opening hours

all months Mo 7:00 - 11:30
12:30 - 17:00
We 7:00 - 11:30
12:30 - 17:00


Infocentrum Mladá Boleslav
Železná 107
293 01 Mladá Boleslav
tel.: +420 326 109 405
email: infocentrum@kulturamb.cz
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022